Science Blast Mentor Form
Science Blast is a one day out of school experiential learning event for 5th grade students. University and College students will be trained to lead one space science activity the day of the event. There are two separate events for two separate school districts.
- Stockton Unified School District (SUSD) on Friday October 7th from 8:00am - 2:00pm @ San Joaquin County Office of Education (SJCOE) 2901 Arch-Airport Road, Stockton CA 95206
- Tracy Unified School District (TUSD) on Friday October 28th from 8:00am - 2:00pm @ San Joaquin County Office of Education (SJCOE) 2901 Arch-Airport Road, Stockton CA 95206
You can volunteer for one or both events but to volunteer for that day you must attend 1 training session.
- To volunteer for October 1st event you must attend training on Friday September 23rd from 4:00pm - 9:00pm @ University of the Pacific School of Education Room 118
- To volunteer for October 28th event you must attend a training session on Friday October 14th from 4:00pm - 9:00pm @ Delta College or SJCOE (will confirm the location)
No training is required to volunteer for the Science Blast Community Day event.
- Volunteer on Saturday November 5th from 10:00am - 2:00pm at the University of the Pacific’s De Rosa University Center
You will receive a registration complete email once you have filled out this form.
The training session is about five hours. What you will learn:
- How the activities work
- About the science and engineering that accompanies the activity
Activities this year:
- Model planetary processes (e.g. volcano flows, meteor impacts, etc.)
- Plan a science/engineering Mission to Space
Rewards of being mentors:
- Use new experiences in future events
- Eligible for tour of NASA AMES
- Can invite guest lecturers to speak at your university campuses
- Discuss NASA internship and coop opportunities
- Reference for college and employment applications
- Certificate of community service
- Personalized signed picture of José Hernández
- Eligible to meet with José Hernández
Thank you for your willingness to participate in the quality of education for a young child from our community!