Science Blast Mentor
Science Blast is a one day out of school experiential learning event for 5th grade students in San Joaquin County, California school districts.
The next Science Blast event is scheduled for March 20, 2018.
If you are interested in becoming a Science Blast Mentor and you are a University, College or High School student residing in the local area, please complete and submit the Science Blast Mentor Form.
University, College and High School students will be trained as Mentors to lead one space science activity on the day of the event. Currently, there are two school districts participating in the Science Blast event:
- Stockton Unified School District (SUSD)
- Tracy Unified School District (TUSD)
To volunteer, you must attend a training session.
- Training date is Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 4:30pm to 8:30pm
- Location will be at San Joaquin Delta College, Danner Hall, in Stockton, California
No training is required to volunteer for the Science Blast Community Day event.
- Event date and time will be available in early 2018
- Location will be in Stockton, CA or Tracy, CA
The training session is about four hours. What you will learn:
- How the activities work
- About the science and engineering that accompanies the activity
Activities from Science Blast Community Day 2016:
- Model planetary processes (e.g. volcano flows, meteor impacts, etc.)
- Plan a science/engineering Mission to Space
Rewards of being mentors:
- Use new experiences in future events
- Eligible for tour of NASA AMES
- Can invite guest lecturers to speak at your university campuses
- Discuss NASA internship and coop opportunities
- Reference for college and employment applications
- Certificate of community service
- Personalized signed picture of José Hernández
- Eligible to meet with José Hernández
Thank you for your willingness to participate in the quality of education for a young child from our community!